Saturday, August 16, 2008

One of those days....

I'm definitely having one of *those* days as a parent today. I'm tired of the kids fighting and not listening and just being downright disrespectful and very thankful that my husband decided to take them both out shopping for a bit so I can breathe quiet air for a few moments. I don't even think I'm going to knit. I'm just going to have a snack and live in silence. I miss silence. I love my kids and wouldn't trade a single day at home for anything, but about once a month (hmmmm.... I wonder why it's once a month) it all gets to be too much. My son has recently been diagnosed with ADHD (combined type) and giftedness. His *H* comes out verbally and unfortunately that's when the gifted portion kicks in as well.  This means that for most of the day he is talking or asking questions about things that most six, almost seven year olds are not even close to being interested in. It sounds cute and he really is a neat kid, but some days it is literally like Chinese water torture. I've tried the "why don't you go and read about it in your room" tact, but that fails miserably. Inevitably, he flips the page in the book and then comes back downstairs with at least one or two NEW topics to discuss and ask questions about. So far this summer we've discussed plant classification and use (mostly flowers), different *ologists* (paleontologists, archaeologists etc.), weather, rock formations, minerals and gemstone classification and fossils to name a few. I'm tired and my brain hurts... :)



On the knitting front, I finished my porta-project yesterday. I have only been knitting socks for a short while, but I really enjoy them. I prefer simple, easy to memorize patterns, but I think for my next socks I'm going to do the Knotty or Knice socks, from the latest Interweave Knits. My next porta-project, however, is a top down skull cap for my husband. The first one I made him was slightly too big and not quite long enough. He still wears it, but did request changes for the next one. 

I'm still working on Eli's sweater. I should get the raglan part done tonight at bedtime, hopefully, I'll be done the whole thing next week sometime. 

Well, I hear the garage door so my moment of quiet is nearly over. I guess I'll go pack up to take the kids to the beach.... the beach is good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment