Thursday, August 14, 2008

A little here and a little there...

Today I invited a friend and her children to join us at the Zoo. I love our Zoo. It's a great place to let the kids run, which is pretty much all they do. Animals?? What are those?? We're here to be FREE! Ok, Chey is *slightly* more interested in animals than Eli, but really they enjoy roaming around more than anything.

Once at home the kids had their quiet time (which really means *I* had quiet time, they watched TV and played in the basement) and I worked on Eli's sweater. I'm about 1/2 way down the yoke. I ended up tossing the pattern I printed out because the increases in the pattern didn't match on the raglans and I didn't like that.  So apparently, I did have to do math. I actually like math, but I'm always afraid I'll screw it up and end up with something totally distorted and unwearable. I know knitting is supposed to be a process, but I really dislike ripping out. I'm not sure anyone *enjoys* ripping out, but I think I might be on the more extreme end of the spectrum. I'm not quite over the top because I don't actually throw things away when they don't work out, but I REALLY want to.... This intense dislike is the main reason I could never be a true designer. The idea of swatching and ripping the number of times it would be required to design a piece from scratch makes me want to run screaming naked down the road (I'm too old for that activity to be fun, I think). And so, I continue to work from patterns, *tweaking* basic patterns to fit my ideas. 

I'm also trying to finish my travel project (or porta-project, as I like to call it). A pair of socks in a chevron pattern. I love having a WIP that fits in my handbag, but once I get to the last 25% I feel an intense need to complete the project and it suddenly finds it's way to my house WIP pile (I normally have no more than 2 items in progress at a time, my porta-project and my home project, so I'm not sure I can call it a *pile,* but what the heck...). I'm hoping to have the second sock done by the end of this weekend. I'm taking the kids to the beach tomorrow and on Saturday, that should be some good knitting time..... 

An odd tidbit from my son today (he's nearly 7). We were biking back from a trip to the Gelato store when he suddenly asked "Mom?? What's the definition of embargo." Completely off the cuff, no talk about anything remotely centered around trade. Kids are weird.......

No comments:

Post a Comment