Thursday, May 10, 2012


It's been about six weeks since I started our Vermicomposting project and I think it's coming along nicely. The worms are eating most of our vegetative waste and can consume approximately 7 litres (2 gallons) per week. I'm hoping that will increase a bit more as the worms reproduce, but, overall,  I'm happy with the results. I've learned that my worms don't really like bread products, so I no longer include them. They also prefer their meals to be cut up, but I am far too lazy to cut up all of our waste into itty-bitty bits for the worms... I've got picky kids and I'm not catering to worms... they can chew an apple core whole, thank you very much.

The hardest part of the whole process is the retraining of the male parental unit of the household. The miniature humans mostly remember about the compost bucket, but the MPU is still rather unlikely to contribute to our effort. He's probably not doing it to tick me off though.... probably.

Other than that... Vermicomposting seems to be an easy way to compost year round in Calgary.

No comments:

Post a Comment