Wednesday, August 10, 2011

BTSS 2011 (Chey Version)

It's that time of year again... time for me to set aside my selfish inclinations for hand knit items and knit for someone else.....


........my children.



I started the tradition in 2008 (Eli's Grade 2 year) with This sweater for Eli,  followed by sweaters in  2009 and 2010. I also started Chey's BTSS tradition last year. This year the whole BTSS (That's BACK TO SCHOOL SWEATER) kind of snuck up on me. I hadn't really planned anything for either child and was sort of thinking maybe I'd skip it.... traditions be damned.....  but when I saw a skein of Madelinetosh DK yarn in Mansfield Garden Party.... I knew it would become something for Chey....... the only problem was that there were only two skeins left. OK... it wasn't really a problem, since I decided to buy them anyway and try to figure out what to do with them later....... in the end,  I decided to knit a short sleeve cardigan and finally cast on three days ago....

My plan was to knit a top-down, steeked (steeked means cut... sort of) cardigan and planned my knitting accordingly with a four stitch panel of stockinette between the button bands. Adding these stitches works perfectly for the crochet steeks I like to use. I found some remnants of fingering weight yarn in a complimentary palette and choose a crochet needle that was several sizes smaller than my knitting needles (I probably could have gone down at least one or two more sizes). Using a lighter weight yarn and small crochet hook helps to prevent the crochet steeks from stretching and pulling the line of knitted stitches, causing bunching and curling in the finished garment. I then started crocheting up one of the two centre lines of stockinette.




Once that was completed, I started crocheting a second line of crochet down second of the two centre lines of stockinette


This leaves a nice little set of ladders to cut.......


and cut.... I did.....


I prefer the crochet method of steeking because it seems to leave a nicer edge with very few stray bits of cut yarn


Finished sweater........ still needs to be blocked (the sweater is a bit stiff and curls a tad, but I know a good soak with fix it up real nice..... )








BTSS 2011, part I of II is complete.....

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing your steeking method. It looks very neat and pretty straight forward. I'm such a sucker for Madelinetosh. Your daughter is very very lucky : )

    ReplyDelete