I finished another sweater. The Diminishing Rib cardigan from the Spring 2009 issue of Interweave Knits (it's the cover sweater). I'm undecided as to whether I like the sweater or not. I'm just not thrilled with the collar and lack of closures on the front. I think the neckline would look better and fall in a more flattering way if the collar was a v-neck or a crew, but the tubular cast on straight collar (I don't know what it's called) is floppy and not very attractive (on me). I did not go with the pattern recommendation of knitting the pattern with positive ease. I knit the smallest size which would be zero ease or slightly negative ease and when I move and the cardigan shifts and falls to the sides. When this happens (which is every three seconds), the cardigan looks huge on me. Others who have knit this sweater before me have solved the problem with various closures, but I'm not sure I want to go that route. Overall, I love the idea of the sweater, the diminishing rib pattern is flattering and easy to knit, but if I were to knit this sweater again, I would knit it with a different collar and some kind of closure in mind. I was also concerned about the attached i-cord edge rolling, but a good steam block seems to have solved that problem.
My only modification to the pattern was to lengthen the whole cardigan by 3 inches. About 1/2 inch per 1x1 rib section and another 2 inches in the modified 3x1 rib section.
On a more positive knitting post, Chey finally fits a sweater I knit in 2006 before she came along. I just really loved the pattern and hoped I would have a daughter for it....... and I did..... so here are some pictures.