Tuesday, October 23, 2012

It's definitely sweater weather


It snowed! On Oct 22nd! It snowed a.lot. and it's still snowing with no end in sight, so it's entirely fitting that I finished knitting a sweater yesterday and that I'm calling it my ski sweater.

I haven't been having much luck in my knitting lately. Everything I've knit in the past few months is "fine," but nothing has turned out quite the way that I wanted it to. I'm not sure what is going on, but my knitting mojo is off.

This most recent sweater is a perfect example. I choose a great pattern (Iridium by Lisa Mutch - ravelry link) and used my absolute, favourite yarn (Juliespins Silky 435 - ravelry link, a 50/50 blend of superwash merino and silk that feels like a warm breeze when worn), but it's not quite right. As a matter of fact, had it not snowed last night, I think I would be frogging it, because the yarn is to wonderful not to wear. The snow has given me an alternate perspective, however, and I've decided that it will make a fantastic. lightweight, warm layer, perfect for outdoor winter sports. What exactly is wrong with it you ask? (yes, I'm aware that only my few knitter readers might actually ask, but I like to pretend everyone hangs on my every word). It somehow turned out much larger than I intended. Now, this might have something to do with the fact that I chose a larger size than I would normally choose (I cast on for a 34" chest, not a 32".. one can dream).... It also might have been effected by the fact that , other than the set up rows, I didn't follow the pattern....... but most likely, it is due to the fact that my gauge is slightly off (1/2 stitch per inch to be exact, which over a 34" chest measurement adds 2.5- 3" depending where I measure). The combined result of these choices is a sweater that is approximately 36-37" which is pretty loose on me.....

It still looks OK, though..... particularly when I stand a certain way so that the excess fabric can drape properly...... so If I'm walking funny, that might be why.... oh... and it was chilly outside when I took these pictures which Is probably why I look like I'm gritting my teeth, rather than smiling.



No comments:

Post a Comment